The other day I wanted to get myself a footwear of some sort. Slippers to be precise. Well, I went out and returned home with no slippers. You already know why from the topic. Virtually all the nice ones were in small sizes. Like, I saw a really cute slippers, was technically drooling but it had to be a size 38. I loved the look of it so much I considered buying it just for keeps or to give a friend but my purse said No. All the ones in size 41 were just bland looking. I had to ignore the incessant 'Buy it, it's fine' lines the sellers were giving me. Biko, it's not you people that'd wear it.
For me, the hustle started way back in secondary school. The only difference is that I always saw big sizes even though I never liked them. There's this particular market my mum and I used to frequent and almost all the shoe sellers already stigmatised me as a very choosy child. At the end of the day, I always had to go with one of the shoes because half bread is better than nothing. Somewhere along the line, I fall in love with the shoes - not like I had any choice. Thank God it's gotten better.
Here are the struggles I think everyone in my shoes has faced. Did you see that wordplay?
- Trying to use vaseline to wear a shoe that relative overseas sent to you. Doesn't even work for me. The most recent one, I loved the shoe so much but it didn't love me back. I even tried to get someone with a wayy longer and bigger feet to help me expand it. Lol. At the end of the day, I had to get emotionally unattached from it and sell it.
- For those with big feet, when your friends don't want you near their footwears because they don't want it expanded. Sigh.
- Or when they try yours on and exclaim at how big they are.
- Some days, you just want to be a cool kid but No! all the cute sneakers are in small size.
- And when you finally find one that fits perfectly, you basically wear it almost every time.
- When you can't conveniently stretch your legs in a bus or some other cramped place. The other day I was in the library and I had to keep apologising to the guy opposite me cause I kept hitting him while trying to stretch my long legs.
- You've probably paid the price of trying to squeeze your legs into smaller shoes. Gosh, the pain!
- When you go shoe shopping, get stressed and get really annoyed at all shoe manufacturers for saving the wacky designs for the big sizes.
- When you buy open-toes and your toes really do a lot of popping out.
- When you find shoes that are bigger than you and you're elated.
- When you walk with friends with shorter feet and they start asking you where you're running to. I'm always getting this.
- When you hear Kendall Jenner and Khloe Kardashian wear a size 10 and you feel like you've joined some special kinda league.
Seriously, the struggle is real! I wear size 10 and even though I have more of a long feet than a big one, shopping for shoes could be heartbreaking at times.
Are you also in my shoes?
What other struggles have you faced?
I think it's high time we formed an association and sued these shoe manufacturers. What do you think?
Please leave me your thoughts. xxx